I get a lot of questions asking about legitimate work from home jobs. Now, these questions are misguided as the the wrong question is being asked. What the asker is looking for are online money making opportunities, not work at home jobs. The distinction may seem subtle, but it’s actually quite large. Let’s look at the difference between working from home and making money online.
Making Money Online
- You use the Internet to make money.
- Examples of work: running a website, affiliate marketing, and search engine work.
- You work for yourself.
- Income is potential.
- You are unsure whether or not you’ll make money.
- Money usually comes from commissions or advertisements.
- Recommend ways to make money online: Build a Niche Store, Blog Mastermind.
For most of our readers (and all of those asking the question), making money online involves learning new skills—very few people step in to this business and make money right away. There is a lot to learn. We recommend this route only if you’re looking for long term, possibly residual income. If you need money to pay this month’s rent, this is not the route for you.
Working from Home
- You use the Internet to find job leads.
- Examples of work: writing and editing, graphic design, and web programming.
- You work for an employer.
- Income is guaranteed.
- You get paid on the completion of a task or job.
- Money usually comes in the form of a paycheck.
- Recommended to learn how to work from home: our eBook, our membership plan.
Working from home as we describe it allows you to use skills you already have, so you can make money more quickly than if you try to make money online. There’s not a steep learning curve, so you can be pulling in some cash relatively soon.
So, what are you goals when it comes to money and the Internet? Let’s get a discussion going. Are you looking to be your own boss and venture into making money online? Or do you want to have a set list of goals given to you by an employer that will allow the work to be done remotely? Use the poll below and leave a comment with your opinions. I want messages people, messages!
As an added bonus, we’ll be evaluating all comments and the best response posted before 11:59PM on Tuesday will receive one free copy of our eBook — The Complete Guide to Telecommuting. This is a potentially new Monday feature. Let’s get the ball rolling.