We got this e-mail message from Kevin, and it’s just one of many asking basically the same question:

I had a little question for you guys… I’ve seen you promoting the new Wealthy Affiliate. A while back you were really pushing the Niche Blitzkreig program. How are these two different or the same? Which do you recommend, assuming they are both the same basic idea? I’m just a little confused which to go for. Thanks for all the help.

Sorry if we’ve confused any of you by covering two similar programs in such a short period of time. You’re probably used to seeing “Stay Away” posts from us, so it rocked your world when we promoted both Wealthy Affiliate (WA) and Niche Blitzkrieg (NB) almost back to back.

This post will attempt to lay out the differences and help you make a decision about which one is best for you.

What’s the Difference?

What we need here is an analogy or two or four.

• WA is like a university. NB is a department within the university.
  • WA is like a mall. NB is a specialty store inside the mall.
  • WA is like a factory that builds cars. NB is the part of the assembly line that builds the transmission.
  • WA is a pizza. NB is the pepperoni.

Make sense? WA is the large, comprehensive affiliate marketing training program. NB teaches a specific type of affiliate marketing: niche marketing. NB focuses on speed: it shows you how to quickly build a number of niche sites and get quick results in traffic and profit. WA is the tortoise in that it’s more oriented toward a long-term business (though you could certainly do NB’s tactics long-term, too).

Some Ups and Downs of Each

WA is a little glossier behind the scenes. It has been around longer and worked out more kinks.

Both programs use video effectively, so if you are not much of a reader, you can still be successful. NB is probably better at this than WA, which is quite text-heavy. (Not so much that it bothers me, though.)

Both programs teach you how to do keyword research—an absolutely essential component. Both programs have tools to help you conduct the research. WA’s tools are united and presented within the WA site. NB’s keyword instruction takes you to a few different sites. Nothing wrong with that, but if you’re the kind of person who has trouble keeping track of several windows or browser tabs, it might annoy you.

Both programs have active forums where members ask questions and get answers from more experienced members and from the program developers. (IMO, forums are extremely under appreciated. They’re great ways to learn from other people and their mistakes.) I don’t know this for sure, but I suspect that Michael Brown of NB is more involved with his members. He answers questions quickly and in a very friendly, teacher-like manner. I haven’t spent much time at the WA forum. Maybe some WA members can speak to this issue in the comments section.

WA can be overwhelming with the sheer volume of information. NB is more manageable because its scope is smaller. WA handles this problem well by giving you the 8-week action plan. There’s also a big blue PANIC button on every page. If you start to feel confused and overwhelmed, click the Panic button and it will spritz Valium out of your monitor to calm you down. (I might have made that part up. But there is a Panic button.)

Which Is Better?

If you’re still asking that, you didn’t read the analogies above closely enough. Think of it this way: Which is better—the cookie or that particular chocolate chip? The train or its electrical contacts? The question, “which is better” doesn’t really make sense because each program’s scope is so different.

They can complement each other and the skills you learn from one would transfer nicely to the other. We stand by and still recommend both of them; deciding which one is a better fit for you just depends on what you want out of your training.

For example:

If you’re looking for a quick introduction to affiliate marketing just to get your feet wet and see if it’s doable, NB is probably more appropriate. You can get down and get busy faster. (Keep in mind, though, that you will only be getting a taste of one slice of affiliate marketing.)

If you know that affiliate marketing could be a serious source of income and you’re looking to make it your career, or make it into a business you’re willing to build over the long haul, you probably want to go with WA.

Specific Questions

I already bought NB. Should I sign up for WA now?
I would wait. Master the techniques of NB first. You’ll know when you’ve reached its limits, and can then take it to the next level with WA. (And by then, your income from NB strategies will pay for your WA training!)

What about working both programs at once?
If the membership fees are not an obstacle, this would not be a bad idea. BUT: you will need to devote several hours a day to your affiliate training if you hope to make progress on this route. This is a road for the coffee-charged go-getter who has just lost his job and is highly motivated to make some money.

I haven’t bought either one yet, and I still can’t decide.
Read our posts again, including the comments. Contact Michael Brown and ask him your questions directly. (I am not certain that you would get an answer from the owners/developers of WA.) Lather, rinse, repeat. There’s no rush to make a decision.

Is it true you make money from WA and NB sales?

Then why should I believe you?
You’re smart to be skeptical. Nothing I can say will convince you. We can only hope that, if you stick around long enough, we’ll earn your trust.

Should I live on ketchup sandwiches so I can afford WA or NB?
No. If money is that tight, go get a regular job with regular paychecks. Even if it’s flipping burgers.

Should I marry my boyfriend?
Not if he’s already married or doesn’t have a job.

Is the government grants program a scam?

Are you almost finished with your novel?
Why, yes. Yes, I am. Thanks for asking.

Why does Evil exist?
Because God loves a good story.

What are those links again?
Wealthy Affiliate and Niche Blitzkrieg

I hope this clarifies the two programs and why we’re promoting them both. Please speak up in the comments if you have any questions. In fact, speak up in the comments anyway. Steve’s posts always get more comments than mine and he’s becoming really obnoxious about it.

Last Updated: March 30, 2010

Join the Discussion

Bruno

Do either of them provide you with the tools you need for keyword research and seo? Or do they upsale? Just wondering if i can get started on what they give or need to come up with more cash.

• B
    B

Is NB a 1 time fee or are there any additional fees later?

Joe urich

Steve thanks a lot for your quick response to my question. You gave a great analogy between the two which helped me to decide on W/A.

I really like your site and the work your doing. Thanks again JU

Kerron

Cool….Can’t wait to get started now :)

Kerron

Hi all, i’m a newbie at this an i know practically noting about Internet Marketing, but i have been reading reviews on this site ( great job Joe and Steve) and it has be a bit anxious an excited at trying my luck at it. Seeing as i’m new i would proberly opt for trying NB over WA for the time being. I live outside of the US so my question, which i don’t think i came across in reading reviews so far is: Are these programs capable of being successful outside of the US market on a worldwide basis? Thanx for your recommendations.

Joe

Hi Kerron,
      Yes, you can use them and their strategies from anywhere. In fact, the developers of WA are Canadians. Many Australians have signed up for both NB and WA.

James Toner

Thanks. It, good to hear positive thing about WA I have been there for 2 months and love it. But I seem spend too much time checking out other offers and not enough time at WA. Have a great weekend, All my best , Jim [ smiley77]

Cassandra

Joe, you are hilarious! I look forward to my daily reading!

• Pingback: Mastering THE Fundamental Skill of Affiliate Marketing | I've Tried That

Joe

Great points, Paul. Thanks for speaking up.

Paul Schlegel

I thought I’d throw in my 2 cents here as I have experience with both Wealthy Affiliate and Niche Blitzkrieg.

Wealthy Affiliate is a tremendous value because of the community, tools, and amount of training provided. However, it can be overwhelming for someone just starting out.

The advantage of Niche Blitzrieg is it forces you to go through some of the most important fundamentals of running most types of online sites – including the bigger ones.

And that’s learning to do keyword research, determining if there’s money in a niche, and quickly determining how difficult (or easy) it will be to compete.

I kind of like to the think of Michael Jordan – sure there are all kinds of fancy moves he had access to – but what made him great is how good he was at the fundamentals and I remember him talking about practicing those on a regular basis.

That’s what Niche Blitzkrieg allows you to do – master the fundamentals before branching out into more complex areas, such as some of the ones introduced via Wealthy Affiliate.

Patricia Green

I was wondering about the Niche Research Commando. Do I need to purchase this when I purchase the program. I’m new at affliate marketing so I don’t know if I need this or not. Sorry I also put this question on the “Underground Cash Secret”. Can someone take that off for me. I feel pretty stupid after I realized what I had done.

Sincerely,
    Patricia Green

Joe

Patricia, Niche Research Commando will make your work much faster. However, I recommend you start without it. It’s important that you understand the keyword research that Commando will do for you. But definitely add it later so that you can spend your time thinking up new niches instead of doing the tedious (and important) keyword research.

Rebecca

I’m just starting to research the possibilities of my replacing my “daily grind” with income from an internet-based business. I just wish I had more time to devote to my new career today!

I love your site and learned about becomeablogger.com, Wealthy Affliate from it — and now truly believe it is possible to make a living off the internet in various ways.

Further, I truly appreciate you saving mankind from scams of all kinds. Thank you. And thanks for offering your expertise and experience for free in your daily blog. I truly appreciate it.

Thanks and keep up the great work!

Joe

Rebecca, you’re welcome! Thanks for the kind words.

Bill Kulp

I am new to IM and have been a member of WA for a month. I joined on a monthly basis to see if WA had value. I plan to upgrade to a yearly membership and to purchase NB. My plan is to incorporate NB with WA. I think that with the hosting, templates and other numerous tools available, WA is definitely worth 29.99/mo. This is only my opinion. I look forward to any feedback.
    Thanks,
    Bill

Wayne Whalen

I have a similar question. Sometime ago you were and still are promoting Build A Niche Store. (BANS) How would BANS compare with Wealthy Affiliate and Niche Blitzkreig?

I also want say that I really enjoy your Site and your daily emails. You have been a great help to me in my endeavor to start a home business.