Want to get regular scambusting updates? Sign up for e-mail or RSS updates.

It’s a sad day at I’ve Tried That. The program that gave birth to our website goes down in flames.

In May, I ordered a gas certificate booklet from Saveongascards.com, which promised $100 worth of gas for $25.

In July, after many delays, the booklet arrived. I paid my $10 “processing fee” and sat back to wait for my debit cards preloaded with $200 for use at major gas stations.

When Gas Cards are not Gas Cards
Today the cards arrived from “CP Deals” in Encino, CA. That’s the outfit I paid the $10 in processing fees to when I sent in my certificates for gas cards. The title on the top of the front of the card says, “Good as Gold GAS CARD.” Only if the gold is made out of ear wax!

Gas cards frontGas cards back

Sorry for the poor quality images; I am temporarily sans scanner. They’re not preloaded debit cards; they’re promotional cards directing me to another website! This outfit wants me to—get this—go to a website and register, then try out free offers, trial memberships and products! Only then will I get real gas cards, up to $10 per completed offer! Like I don’t do enough of that already! Bunny socks, you say? Nah—pure, unadulterated bullshit. No mincing of words here. To say I was pissed is an understatement. Since you probably can’t read the text on the back side of the card, here’s what it says [my editorial comment in square brackets]:

1. Go to www.tryitforgas.com [How about you go to cleanmynavel4me.com?]
2. Log in using the Authorization Pin Number (below) of your Gas Card. [OK! Do you want my bank account numbers too??]
3. Select and complete sample trials, products, goods, services and more. [Can I get a cheap lobotomy? Oh, wait, that’s right. You think I ALREADY HAD ONE! ]
4. For every offer completed, you’ll receive $10 for Gasoline; not to exceed $100. [Gee willikers, Scooter! Do you also provide lube with this rectal exam??]

The certificates also promised a $10 gift card to offset the $4.95 per coupon “processing fee.” Two gift cards were, in fact, included, but they were for use toward purchase from the “enclosed Family Fun Savers Brochure Catalog,” which offers FOUR (4) PRODUCTS (I’m not making this up):

• Ticket Guardian: which reimburses you for traffic tickets received ($29.95)
  • Express Rx over the counter Discount Coupon Book ($29.95)
  • Bahamas Cruise: a 2-night round trip cruise for 2 to the Bahamas ($29.95) [WTF?? I’m curious, but not dumb enough to send any more money to the CP Deals con artists]
  • 100 Roll Kodak Film Booklet: “100 certificates for free Kodak film with each paid processing, and pre-addressed, postage-paid film mailer!”

How many hoops would I have to jump through, and how much money would I have to spend before actually seeing some advertised benefit from this outfit? I don’t know, and I’m not patient enough to try to find out.

Prompt Refund

I wrote to the seller of the certificate books, Saveongascards.com, and demanded a refund. I kid you not—within 2 minutes, the full purchase price plus the $10 in processing fees was sent to my PayPal account. Amazing.

Who am I mad at?
There is a reason I did not say in the title: Saveongascards is a scam. “Scam” implies willful deceit by the seller, and I don’t think that applies here. There is a name to my pain and the name is CP Deals, in Encino, CA. They’re the scammers in this scenario. They are not the same people who run saveongascards.com, where I made the original purchase. I’ve been talking with the presumed owner of saveongascards.com; his name is Clint Steiner, and he is the one who promptly refunded my money, with an apology. He is the distributor, and it seems he was scammed in this scenario, too. The supplier/processor is CP Deals; THAT is my enemy. Does your car run on alternative fuel, CP Deals? I fart in your general direction! Put that in your tank and burn it!

What YOU can do
Scams like this one thrive on ignorance and emotional appeal. You can help put these guys out of business by spreading the word about this post and the dirty tricks of scammers that want to charge you something and give you nothing. Help us get the word out:

1. Share this post by clicking on the “Share This” link below
  2. Learn more about this and other online scams by reading the Related Posts below
  3. Report fraudulent activity at Scam Victims United and to your local police

Last Updated: January 11, 2008

Join the Discussion

debbie beach

i to traveled fifty miles to hear this sales pitch for family savers in charleston s.c. for a great deal of $1799.99 i could be a member for life…..also i got a $100.00 gas card and three day, two night vacation.. well i didn’t write a check and his cards are all worthless. i wish i could sit in his office and blow off his scam….

william hildreth

Sat through a water purifacastion system, and promised a 25.00 gas card for my time. All i got was this scam.

John

Not only is the gas card a scam but we were also promised two nights at a marriott hotel for sitting through a two hour grueling session of sales people trying to sell us points to be used for vacations. I asked them to honor the agreement and they said they would if we sat though another session. We refused. They reluctantly gave us 2 nights at a Holiday Inn and kept the $75.00 I had initially sent to them which they had said would be returned but never was. I have reported VIP Travel to the Attorneys General in both Connecticut and Florida in writing. Live and learn.

Rosemary

I also went to a family saver sells pitch, but didn’t invest in it. It sound good but I didn’t want to add any more bills on me at this time. I was given a 3day 2night vacation and a 100 dollar gift voucher to mail off. I haven’t mail off the one for the vacation but I didn’t the gas card and recieve the card you all been talking about. I to thought something was strange when it came in the mail in a plain envelope and then read what you have to do to get the free gas. It’s not free if you have to buy other promotions, even s/h. I did lose about an hour of my time,but Thank God no money. I know that the only thing thats free is SALVATION IN CHRIST. He paid it all for us but we do have to give up something[a sinful life,which is nothing at all to lose] for eternal life. We can thank our Saviour, He’s not a scammer.

nurys

i know that someone went to use the card at the gas station. Apparently the gas card read error at the pump machine. The person almost got fooled by these kind of advertisements. The person said that he will return the card back to whomever sent it to him. (yeah right, you believe that if you want.)

donna

you know i went to family savers something like direct buy show rooms and they sent me the same gas card that you are talking about and i was amazed that i had to do the offers. I wish i knew about this before i went there and signed up for a membership.

leslie

I JUST WANT TO THANK YOU FOR SAVING ME FROM THE HASSELL OF IT ALL.I KNEW IT WAS A GIMMICK WHEN I READ THE BACK OF THAT CARD ABOUT OTHER OFFERS I NEW IT WAS A BUNCH OF CRAP AND THAT’S WHY I DIDN’T ENTER A CONTRACT WITH THEM. THEY’RE SIMILIAR TO UNIWAY. A BUNCH OF CROOKS AND IDIOTS I AM VERY PISSED.

Oleg

You are a fool or what you still don’t get it that it is nothing more,but a scam.

wilner stitt

I have the gift gas card from VIP travel reservation and I have tried to register it and this is the page i get help me to register my card

Oleg

If you have kown it is a scam why did you pay $15.00 anyway?

charles G. westbrooks

I was to get afreegas card but iam haveing trobleget it .Ipayed15.00so i can get it. ibought it from c.b.s get a 100.00for it web.i went to is http;//www.tryitforgas.com plese help me.cant fine it but i but all number &pen in.

Fred

This company has been out of business for a year. Saveongascards received the cards from CP Deals. The owners of CP Deals fled the country with everyone’s money.

Saveongascards was just a distributor and refunded people’s money when they could. Just because you have a card doesn’t mean you purchased it from Saveongascards as CP Deals had 100’s of distributors across the country and they were all left holding the bag of junk.

William Facteau

I just recieved one of those gas cards shown on the top of this wek site. I don’t know what to do with it. I am certainly going to send it to the Better Business Bureau, i am also looking for a consumer advocate in this area. I think the Attorney General’s office may also like to know what is going on with this company.

Boone

I have continously been thinking of a way that ALL of us can possibly get closure on this scam(or at least get some satisfacation).I personally want to go back to Family Savers walk in(hopeing that alot of other unsuspected people are there)and comfort all the people then demand that they also make good on the gas card & vacation(they took my time now it’s time that they give back what they said they would)!!!!!!!!!!

Clint

I stated several times the company I bought the cards from are out of business and left the country. I tried to refund as many people as I could as I got ripped off myself because I had booklets that were useless.

ann

What can we do to this make believe company that is so dishonest? Reporting this to the police do any good? Thank god we didn’t sign up with family savers!!!!!!

ann

We were told that we would receive a 100.00 gas card. And when we went to us it, it didn’t work. Know body never heard of that card before. I can’t beleive that people are like that in this world. I will be telling people about that place. FAMILY SAVER THEY ARE NOT WHAT THEY SAY THEY ARE!!!!!

Billie

Toyota Dealership gave one of those Goodas Goldgas card. Get this it is for $125.00. I read your message and thank you for saving me a lot of wasted time.

Clint Steiner

I stopped selling the cards over a year ago once I figured out they company switched them around. From May until about July they did actually send out the gas cards and then in July 2007 they switched to the stupid gas booklets – at that point I stopped selling them. So if you are still getting booklets it is not because of me. The corporate company went out of business and the owners left the country. I lost money on the whole deal just like you guys.

Cynthia Boone

I went to the sells pitch on family savers and did not invest in any of the so called to good to be true savings bull-shit that they went on about(thank-goodness I had a great friend along with me)of course I did recieve the voucher that was a so called to good to be true free $100.00 gas card and supposibly a vacation to be used.Today when I recieved the card(exactly as the one pictured above)I thought to myself before even opening why would someone put a card(just like recieving a credit card)in the mail in a plain envelope(asking to get stolen).Loging on explains it all!!!!!!! In my opinion this Clint Steiner is just as much as a scammer as the guys doing the actual scamming because there is no way a good business man would ever had allow himself to be a part of such a scam without prior knowledge(kick back)they always check it out first.Everyone should bill Steiner for the time WE invested in having to listen to the bullshit,I don’t know about everyone else but my time is as important to me as their time is investing to create the scam!!!!!!!!

Oleg

I got a call from relative saying he have won tow $100 gas cards if he sends $15 for it well i came over to his house just to find out he got scammed as soon as i saw those cards on the table.

Sam of lexington

Hey I got a free card and can’t use it. How can you tell someone something is free and it’s really not. Every offer you had to pay shipping and handling or so other crazy amount for shit you really don’t want.

Charlotte Luko

Hi-

I’m afraid I’ve been duped also. I sent for a gas card and a restaurant card from CP Deals to the tune of $4.95 each in the form of money orders that were already cashed. I got the booklet when I signed up through Clint Steiner and bought one of his gas card booklets for $25.95. Boy it’s adding up here. How can I reach Mr. Steiner now? I think he owes us all a refund. We were supposed to sell these cards for him. It may not be his direct fault but he should have checked things out before he went and got others involved. I’m going on vacation in two weeks and was really counting on those cards. I would have been better off saving the money.

Joe

That’s right, Jim. As I pointed out in the post, Clint has been great. An impossibly fast refund for me. I hope he didn’t have to suck up huge losses due to CP Deals.

“Vouchers,” though, is a strange word choice (and I know it’s their word). They’re not “vouchers” in any sense of the word. They’re worthless marketing gimmicks pointing suckers to “tryitforgas.com,” which will sign them up for yet more worthless programs.

JIm

Keep in mind saveongascards.com is not the company that supplies the booklets as it appears they have stopped selling them. I emailed saveongascards.com about my cards and Clint mentioned he stopped selling them because of the vouchers CP Deals sends out. He said they did up until June send out gas cards but switched the booklets late June to the new junk booklets. At first he thought they would continue to send out gas cards but didn’t find out until late July that they send out the vouchers so that is when he brought down the site and stopped taking payments.

Joe

Jack, do you mean you sent in the “coupon” with your processing fee and got back the crap cards pictured above? Yes, they should be turned in somewhere.

Jack O'Brien

I got the booklet as a prize it a golf tournament and like u found out it was a scam. I was really p.o. They shoul be turned into a government agency.

Joe

Is it CP Deals, Emma? If so, I wouldn’t pay go on the “vacation” if they promised a free Swedish masseuse every nigh! What is the gas card like?

emma

went to an interview about wholesale but didn’t take the offer so was offered a key to a car but the key didn’t work so they gave me a vacation also a gas card. but the catch was that I. paid ten dollars deposit for the vacation and when I. get to my destination I’ll have to pay the tax for the room hope that this is not a scam.

Joe

I’ve never understood what the “vouchers” are. Is that what I got? Those “good as gold gas cards?”

JIm

Like Joe mentioned I don’t think it is “scam” on Clint’s part. From what I understand they did originally send ou gas cards but then switched to the junk booklets in July and have since started to just send “vouchers”

janice

Joe you have such a way with words, and if I wasn’t the lady I am I’d fart in their general direction right along with you.

Joe

In another gas cards thread, Mark wrote:

all i can say is wow! i was scammed by this company – first of all how am i supposed to return the unused booklets – i never received any exxon mobil gas cards – that is ridiculous – this is how i found out it was a scam by using the booklets – i really want to charge this paypal purchase back on my american express – however as a decent human being – i dont want the innocent seller of these booklete – clint steiner to suffer – i really had a lot of faith – this was sucha scma the things they sent are not worth the paper they are written on – stay away everyone

Then, in a follow up message in email, he added:

i agree with you – and i am debating about what to do – on the one hand i dont want clint to suffer – while on the other – i myself will have to take the loss – while clint is a nice guy, still he should have known and should not have sold a product and advertised a product a certain way that was false- i understand it says in the disclaimer that it may be substituted for a voucher- most people would assume that a voucher was similar to a gift card just in paper form – it is clearly the intention of cp deals to defraud – i don’t care what disclaimer they have – the bottom line is that they got 90% of their business through the fraudulent claims of giving a gas gift card – hell look at the mail-in certificate it tells you to choose which brand of gas you want it is a huge ass scam – i dont give a fuck if their lawyers already sued 3 people for slander – if this is widespread then the state attorney general’s office will get involved very soon
    — great job documenting it on your website
    until a week ago nothing popped up when I googled cp deals

Joe

Sabrina’s just too polite to say, “I told you so, Dufus!” On July 12, she predicted:

I think this is a by mail version of the cash crate idea…get you to do things in return for ___.

(*&(^&^$%^$%& Scammers!

Thanks for being kind, Sabrina. That sticker on the front of the card was punishment enough!

Sabrina's Money Matters

For sure no bunny socks here – thank goodness!