Branding is a huge part of any company, so even if you create your own logo using a drag-and-drop logo maker, you’re still on the right path.
- Survey Junkie - The #1 survey site that doesn't suck. Short surveys, high payouts, simply the best.
- Inbox Dollars - Get paid to check your email. $5 bonus just for signing up!
- Product Report Card - Test out new products and get paid to answer questions about them! Work with companies like Apple, Nike, and Amazon!
- Nielsen - Download their app and get paid $50!
Creating a unique logo for your brand leaves your potential customers with a positive impression and lasting symbol of what you have to offer.
A logo can be made purely of text, just graphics (can be shapes, an image, or even lines), or a combination of text and graphics.
The purpose of a logo is to tell people about your product or brand’s name.
Logos have been proven to be highly memorable, which is why these symbols can effectively represent your business or product both offline and online.
Unfortunately, hiring someone to create a logo for your brand, product or company can be very expensive.
Professionally made logos by freelance designers can range between $100 and $800, while those made by designers employed in design agencies start at $2,000.
The good news is there are plenty of logo makers and similar tools where you can create your own logo for free or for a minimal charge of $10 to $50.
10 Tools to Create Your Own Logo
I ran through each logo tool below.
I entered in the site name and picked a random category to showcase some of the logos that are generated by these tools.
Personally, I liked Hatchful the best. It created the most variety.
Spotify lets you create your own logo straight from your phone (thanks to the Android and iOS apps) or your PC desktop.
It’s free to use, even if you’re not a Shopify merchant. What’s great about this logo maker is that the Hatchful tool is fast and lightweight.
You can build a logo from scratch literally within a minute or two.
Using Hatchful by Shopify
- Click “Get Started” from the front page
- Choose your industry and click “Next”
- Find the Visual Style you like best or choose “None of the Above,” then continue by clicking “Next”
- Enter your business name and slogan (this is optional) on the next page
- Tell Hatchful where the logo is going to be used (social media, online store, print, business cards, etc.) You can choose multiple options. Wait for the templates to load.
- Click one of the logos displayed to customize. You can still edit the business name, slogan, font, color and icons used on the logo.
- You can download the logo free and use it as you please. You just have to enter your e-mail address and Shopify will send your Hatchful logo pack to your email. What I like about this pack is the perfectly-sized logos for each of the popular social media platforms (Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, etc.).
Free Logo Design is a web-based software that gives you a chance to create your own logo and incorporate it into your business.
It’s 100% free, which means you won’t be surprised at the end of the logo-making process of a payment required before receiving the final logo.
Aside from having thousands of free logo templates, the Free Logo Design blog also provide useful logo design tips.
The drag-and-drop editor is perfect for beginners with no advanced technical skills too!
Using Free Logo Design
- Right at the front page, enter your company name and choose the most appropriate category.
- Pick from a wide range of free logo templates in the library. You can “view all logos” to check out logos beyond the 4 featured ones displayed after your search.
- When you click one logo, you can edit the existing template by adding your text, shapes, icon or other graphics. You can even adjust its colors to your liking.
- Click “Save” to download your 200×200 pixel logo. Use it anywhere you want.
From the makers of drag-and-drop design software Canva, this online logo maker is exactly what you’d expect: simple, beginner-friendly, and comes with professional-looking free logo templates.
And this free video will show you exactly everything you need to do to get started. Click here to watch it now.
You don’t have to download the Canva software, but you do have to register (if you’re going to create your own logo on the web) or use the free Android or iOS apps instead.
Using Canva Logo Maker
- Choose from the template library
- If you want to use your own graphics, upload them. Otherwise, you can choose from Canva’s free graphics.
- Customize the logo by editing your text or fixing the photos.
Logomakr is home to over a million free logo templates, which you can use as a starting point to create your own logo.
It’s a simple, no frills, logo editor.
Point, click, type. Get a logo. Not much more to this one than that.
The site has the same process to most logo makers:
- Begin with an existing template
- Edit the color, text, background, graphics, and so on…
- Download the free logo (note that the free version requires Logomakr.com credit). You can pay for a hi-res one for $19.
GraphicSprings is a software that you can use to create your own logo for free. It is popular for the amount of customizations available and the level of image editing you can perform.
Out of all the logo making features, what I like best about GraphicSprings is the way it automatically pinpoints the logo type to fit your business.
You do have to pay $19.99 to save the design files after generating your logo design.
If you can afford to hire an in-house GraphicSprings designer, they can assign a team to custom-make a logo for you.
How to Use GraphicSprings
- Go to the logo design page and type in your product or company name.
- Choose your graphic from the left side toolbar and add it to your logo. Alternately, you can use the search bar in finding an appropriate graphic for your logo.
- Once you’ve selected the graphic, the software will instantly generate your logo design.
- Editing phase involves adding effects, shadows, colors, themes, and other logo elements.
- When you’re done editing the logo, click “Download Your Logo,” which will then direct you to a payment page to buy the hi-res image for $19.99.
This is a personal favorite among the many free logo makers in the market.
The sleek-looking site has one of the most comprehensive questionnaires of all the tools I tested.
It lets you filter out the logo’s style that best fit your needs.
There wouldn’t be a lot of options once you’ve gone through the search compared to other logo makers, but you’ll see that the six options generated are more in tuned to what you’re looking for.
You can build a part or full-time income online and it doesn't have to be challenging. Click here to see how.
How to Use Tailor Brands Logo Maker
- Enter your business name and slogan
- Enter your industry, then expand on specifics. For example, enter “coffee shop” and add details like “home blend,” “work space” and so on.
- Choose a logo type (icons, text, initials), followed by several options that would further figure out the style you’re looking for
- Tailor Brands would then give you six options, which you can choose from once you’ve registered your mail or signed up with Facebook or Google.
If you’re more of a visual person, the Ucraft is perfect for you.
You start with a blank canvas, then drag-and-drop elements (text, shapes, icons, etc.) shown on the left panel.
You can choose over 200,000 icons from Ucraft’s library.
The process is pretty straightforward and doesn’t require much steps.
Once you’ve finished your logo, you can export as a transparent, high resolution PNG for free, or pay $12 for the SVG format.
Logaster isn’t the most popular logo generator on this list, but it does the job for free if you need a quick logo created.
Simply follow the logo creation wizard and browse through hundreds of logos.
Edit your chosen clip art to customize the color, fonts and style.
Once done, you can download the low-resolution, smaller-sized logo for free, or pay $9.99 for the high-resolution logo.
SquareSpace’s slogan “Logos made simple” definitely measures up when you’re trying to create your own logo on their site.
You just type your company name, pick a symbol, edit the size, layout, color and typeface…and your logo is made!
How simple is that?
You’re allowed to download the low resolution version free of charge, but have to shell out $10 for the high resolution one.
Logoshi lets you create your own logo within 5 minutes.
Just enter the business name, slogan and initials, then click “Make Logos” and you’ll be given several logo options to choose from.
Pick one and customize the feel, style, color, shape, alignment, format, and other elements.
You can see the changes live every time you edit one part of the logo.
If you’re willing to pay for the high resolution version, the packs cost $5, $29 and $50.
Those who can’t spend yet could still use Logoshi for exploring logo designs easily.
Should I use a logo maker?
These free logo makers earn by offering paid versions in larger, higher resolution versions of the logos you made.
If you’re going to use the logo for simple Facebook profile pictures, a free version is usually enough.
But if you’re planning to print the logo as part of a banner, signage, or similar promo materials, you might need to pay for the high-res versions. If you do, you’ll get a pack with PDF, JPG and vector SVG files.
The main problem with these logo makers is that eventually, you’d find a logo similar to the one you’ve made.
While the chance of this happening is low, if it’s an issue to you, your next best bet is to hire a graphic designer on Fiverr.com and custom-make a logo for you.
Fiverr.com is home to many skilled people, so even if services are priced low (say $5 to $20 for a logo), you’ll be receiving quality work.
Elements of a Well-Designed Logo
Before exploring the options above to create your own logo, you should first learn about what makes one eye-catchy, memorable, and attractive to other people.
Ultimately, the logo is part of your branding, which is why it should follow these principles:
- Your logo must be unique – It has to show what your company is all about and the logo should be able to describe your brand in a few text, graphics and slogan.
- Your logo must be simple – You don’t have to make it flashy to get your audience’s attention. Think of the logos of popular brands like Apple and Nike.
- Your logo must be memorable – Mickey Mouse’s silhouette is recognizable wherever you go. You can identify it, whether you’re near or far.
- Your logo must be appropriate – Make a logo that would fit in nicely with your industry or niche. Making a playful logo for a law firm may not work, just as creating a formal logo for a pet shop wouldn’t feel appropriate.
- Your logo must be enduring – Building a brand from scratch takes time and effort. As such, your logo shouldn’t be based on a fad design element. Make sure the logo you choose can still look new even after 5 or 10 years.
- Your logo must be versatile – Company logos are used everywhere, from online presence to the real world (print materials, billboards, etc.). It has to remain recognizable, even as you switch to various platforms, size or color.
Now that you’ve got your logo made, it’s time use it everywhere for your business.
If you haven’t yet launched one yet, here are 50 ways to start your own business, operate completely online and use your newly-designed business logo.