Etsy is the go-to online marketplace for people who want to buy and sell handmade, vintage, or unique factory-manufactured items from around the world and with the right pick from the Etsy Best Sellers list, it can be a lucrative online venture.
- Opinion Outpost - The #1 survey site that doesn't suck. Short surveys, high payouts, simply the best.
- Survey Junkie - Test out new products and get paid to answer questions about them! Work with companies like Apple, Nike, and Amazon!
- Inbox Dollars - Get paid to check your email. $5 bonus just for signing up!
- Nielsen - Download their app and get paid $50!
Launched in 2005, this platform has reached massive success with over 50 million members and almost $2 billion total sales in 2014.
Imagine how much bigger it is today.
If you’re a maker of crafts, art, jewelry, handmade beauty products, knick-knacks, toys and other quirky items you won’t find anywhere else, Etsy should be your first e-commerce platform option.
- Cheap startup costs – You need to pay 20 cents for each item you list. If it sells, you’ll pay Etsy a small fee (3.5% of the selling price).
- Well-built system – From its search feature to inventory management, logistics, and so on, Etsy makes the hard stuff look easy. The site is also updated regularly and prioritizes working on ease-of-use both for its buyers and sellers.
- Free traffic and marketing – You can always sell your stuff on your own website, but listing them on Etsy means you won’t have to work on building traffic, marketing your site, and making sure people find your products online.
- Friendly community and support – Etsy has a tight-knit community of creators who support each other online. Not only do they advertise items from fellow Etsy sellers, they also help out with common buy-and-sell questions. The in-house Etsy support isn’t that bad either.
- Etsy events – Building an online store doesn’t have to mean you’ll be stuck in cyberspace forever. At Etsy, you get to participate at various localized events created by various Etsy teams.
Ready to join the exciting world of Etsy? First, you need to figure out what is currently popular and selling well on Etsy… and if your product fits the demand.
The Most Popular Etsy Shops
One way to determine if your product has a shot is to check out the most popular Etsy shops in the platform.
But first things first, don’t go to Etsy.
It may seem like a good idea to visit the most popular shops at Etsy, but I think you should start your product search elsewhere.
Specifically, Amazon Handmade’s Featured Artists list.
Why? Because you can take what is selling well at Amazon and then replicate that success at Etsy.
The following shops don’t necessarily house items that are Etsy best sellers, but checking out the top 20 gives you an idea of what the buying market at Etsy wants.
Etsy Stores With The Most Sales
Note: The ranking and sales data are updated as of July 2020.
Here are the 20 Top Etsy shops and the items (category of products) that have earned these stores these coveted spots:
1. PlannerKate1 (1,321,357 sales) — Kate Antesberger and her daily planners currently hold the crown of the Etsy shop with the most number of sales.
2. Beadboat1 (826,242 sales) — Bead Boat is a jewelry supply shop with almost 7,000 products to help any jewelry maker create whatever they can imagine.
3. ModParty (761,875 sales) — This shop has bridesmaids gifts, as well as favors for weddings, birthday parties, baby showers, and pretty much any celebration or party you’re planning.
4. yakutum (722,265 sales) — This fourth best selling Etsy shop hails from Turkey, Istanbul, and has been selling jewelry supplies on the platform since 2008.
5. CaitlynMinimalist (689,043 sales) — If minimalist jewelry is what you’re looking for, CaitlynMinimalist does not disappoint.
6. nicoledebruin (641,773 sales) — Coming in sixth place, we have Nicole and her Charm Collection with over 14,000 listed items selling over half a million orders since 2009.
7. ThinkPinkBows (570,468 sales) — This Utah-based store sells bows for babies, toddlers, and girls. They’ve branched out into selling face masks as well.
No joke. Here is the fastest way to make easy money online. Click here to see how.
8. clbeads (562,321 sales) — This store operates from Canada and has been selling beads, Swarovski, seed beads, etc. since 2008.
9. yadanabeads (557,292 sales) — As its name suggests, this store (launched 2007) of beads also has gemstones, glass, and a ton of 2-dollar-or-less items.
10. jewelersparadise (556,278 sales) — This is one of the most popular US-based stores, even if it only began selling pretty pendants and jewelry supplies in 2011.
11. PeggySueAlso (553,258 sales) — One of the more unique shops on this list, Peggy Sue sells leather and crafting supplies.
12. KJewelryMetal (547,199 sales) — King Jewelry Supplies is based in Turkey and has been selling metal jewelry supplies since 2014.
13. CreatingUnkamen (495,658 sales) — Another jewelry seller selling supplies and handmade gifts.
14. yummytreasures (487,377 sales) — Known for its wide range of beads, this Etsy store has been up since 2008 and has been popular for its set stones even today.
15. GLDNxLayeredAndLong (483,909 sales) — Operating out of Washington, Chrissy mainly sells personalized necklaces, rings, and gifts.
16. Prettygrafikdesign (476,946 sales) — This Canada-based store is only 6 years old, but averages $180/day with its vectors and graphic design items. It’s one of the few non-craft supply stores on this list.
17. DesignInYourHeart (470,240 sales) — Based in Korea, DesignInYourHeart has been on Etsy for seven years, selling pendants, charms, and other jewelry supplies.
18. goldswan (464,781 sales) — Jewelry supplies are all the rage in Etsy, so there’s no wonder why a store like this would average $130/day sales even if it has been selling at the platform since 2009.
19. happysupplies (462,483 sales) — Hong Kong-based crafting supply store is preferred by customers in the Asian region for cheaper shipping fees.
20. PrettyInPinkSupply (438,136 sales) — Operating since 2012, they mainly sell craft supplies. One of the few sellers not selling jewelry.
What to Sell on Etsy
By looking at the top 20 Etsy stores, it’s easy to see the most sought-after items by the Etsy community.
Competition isn’t so fierce, since many of the items are priced below $2.
If you don’t know what to sell on Etsy yet, but wants to turn it into a business, here are 5 in-demand product categories that you should explore:
- Planner/journal — Any fan of planners and journals can attest to how huge this market is. Whether you focus on bullet journals, printables, or handmade accessories, there’s a space for you on Etsy.
- Digital products — For those with Photoshop and graphic design skills, you can put your talent to good use and earn extra income by selling digital products on Etsy. You can specialize in various kinds of items, too; from t-shirt designs to stock photography and printables. You don’t have shipment and inventory to take care of either.
- Party decor — Because Etsy is home to thousands of creative people, the party decorations offered here aren’t just basic and mass-produced. Here, you can offer even the craziest party themes and people will pay for your effort.
- Specialty deserts — Etsy probably wouldn’t be your first choice to check out when you’re looking for candies, specialty desserts, and other sweets. Heck, Etsy doesn’t even have a food category there, but you’d be able to find (or sell) drool-worthy desserts like this Vermont maple syrup leaf candies or these rose wine lollipop wedding favors.
- Personalized clothing for babies or pets – Clothing is a basic need, so personalized clothes made for loved ones (human or fur babies) will always be in demand.
Of course, you can always get into the craft or jewelry supply category, but you should be armed with something unique to sell that would give you an edge over your competition.
Following trends, for example, adds more value to your jewelry store instead of just offering jewelry supplies that other stores are also selling.
You can make money from home and it doesn't have to be challenging. Click here to see how.
What’s great about the Etsy community is that word spreads quickly if a store is selling amazing stuff, so wow your market and you won’t have a problem introducing your Etsy store.
What are the best selling categories on Etsy?
If you’re not quite sold about the ideas above, you can continue to get inspiration from the first five Etsy Best Sellers leading the pack of every product category:
- Accessories – Gorgeous headpieces for girls from ThinkPinkBows, one-of-a-kind tutus and accessories from OnceUponATimeTutus, magnets/buttons with funny quotes made by BeanForest, and everything embroidered from TheTurnipSeed makes the top 5 accessories stores on Etsy.
- Art & Collectibles – Embroidery Designs by Avi leads the Art category, followed by the awesome work of PatentPrints, quirky book-page artwork of collageOrama, printable heaven at Studio20Designs, or high-quality photography backdrop from SwakyPrints.
- Bags & Purses – From good old handmade leather goods from Portland Leather (also known as Curtis Matsko), JooJoobs, and in blue, to the bohemian-inspired bags of Janine King Designs.
- Bath & Beauty – Etsy is also home to organic, homemade or customized beauty products like the soaps from TsunamiSuds by the Anderson Soap Company, PolishMeSilly’s fun and unique nail polish, or artisan organic skin care from Skin Food by AB.
- Books, Movies & Music – For the journal and planner fan, you can get lost in the thousands of journaling items from YellowPaperHouse or JournalingJane and adorable creations of craftedvan (bookmarks) and LittleMissDaisyrose (super-cute paperclips). Make sure to check out the fun guitar straps at California-based couchguitarstraps.
- Clothing – Custom shirts are big on Etsy (see: screen-printed goodies from zoeysattic, signaturetshirts, and Zen threads). Of course, specialty clothing stores, like silkandmore that sells silk robes and more, have quite a huge following.
- Electronics & Accessories – Even electronics can be given a personal touch, such as cute laptop sleeve cases by Bertie’s Closet, mouse pad sets from Laa766, fancy wrist rests of ChicMonogram, or cell phone cases (of Simply Monogram) and phone decals (from CuttinCrazy).
- Home & Living – This category is all about crystals – just check out the 3 Best Etsy Sellers TheSageGoddess, ilovelotus, and BlissCrystals. There’s also a ton of unique candles like Frostbeard and personalized cutting boards by TaylorCraftsEngraved.
- Jewelry – Personalized gold jewelry from GLDN LayeredAndLong, silver necklaces from Distinctly Ivy, custom coordinates of Mignon and Mignon, or rose-gold personalized jewelry by CaitlynMinimalist are all the rage on Etsy’s jewelry category.
- Pet Supplies – There’s a huge demand for pet-related products, as evident from stores like PuddleJumperPups (and its collection of dog collars), The Mad Stampers (awesome hand-stamped pet tags), Shop Mimi Green (and tons of personalized dog collar options), CollarDirect for cats and dogs, as well as veryvintage (with its organic cotton collars).
- Shoes – Do you have products that would beat soft-sole baby’s footwear by ScooterBooties or Ebooba? How about custom shoe design service like what cutiepiegoodies (and its bedazzled kid shoes), ShopPinkIvy (with its Swarovski-embedded Nike shoes), or FlipSideFlipFlops and its best-selling sand imprint flipflops?
- Toys & Games – Have toys or games in mind for your main Etsy product? Check out these adorable modern dolls from Gingermelon, wooden educational toys from JandPWoodProducts, or the funky pro collection of hoops by HoopMamas.
- Weddings – Weddings never run out of fashion, and Etsy best sellers know this. Get inspired by personalized bridal party gifts from ModParty or Bragging Bags. Be impressed with the groomsmen sets by Teals Prairie & Co. Or find ideas from wedding stationary or guestbook makers, Marry Grams and Alphabet Canvas, respectively.
Note that the Etsy best sellers featured here could change in the future. These should give you an idea if you’re launching an Etsy store anytime in 2019.
In addition to the ones I’ve listed above, you can also check out Etsy’s best-selling items list.
The Bottom Line: Etsy Best Sellers in 2020
Etsy is an amazing marketplace not only because it gives creative people an outlet to sell their art, crafts and other masterpieces in their handmade glory. Etsy has also built an impressive community that supports each other even in the real world (check local Etsy market events) and on their respective blogs.
The above list is fairly comprehensive as to what really sells on Etsy. If you can’t find something up there that fits your interests, Etsy likely isn’t the platform for you.
It’s an extremely valuable ecommerce platform though. PlannerKate is receiving over a thousand orders per day.
If you are trying to get started, make sure you follow our how to sell on Etsy guide to help find your footing.
Do you have a favorite store? Or one of your own that you’d like us to link to? Leave me a comment below with the details.