Etsy is the go-to online marketplace for people who want to buy and sell handmade, vintage, or unique factory-manufactured items from around the world and with the right pick from the Etsy Best Sellers list, it can be a lucrative online venture.
Launched in 2005, this platform has reached massive success with over 50 million members and almost $2 billion total sales in 2014.
Imagine how much bigger it is today.
If you’re a maker of crafts, art, jewelry, handmade beauty products, knick-knacks, toys and other quirky items you won’t find anywhere else, Etsy should be your first e-commerce platform option.
- Cheap startup costs – You need to pay 20 cents for each item you list. If it sells, you’ll pay Etsy a small fee (3.5% of the selling price).
- Well-built system – From its search feature to inventory management, logistics, and so on, Etsy makes the hard stuff look easy. The site is also updated regularly and prioritizes working on ease-of-use both for its buyers and sellers.
- Free traffic and marketing – You can always sell your stuff on your own website, but listing them on Etsy means you won’t have to work on building traffic, marketing your site, and making sure people find your products online.
- Friendly community and support – Etsy has a tight-knit community of creators who support each other online. Not only do they advertise items from fellow Etsy sellers, they also help out with common buy-and-sell questions. The in-house Etsy support isn’t that bad either.
- Etsy events – Building an online store doesn’t have to mean you’ll be stuck in cyberspace forever. At Etsy, you get to participate at various localized events created by various Etsy teams.
Ready to join the exciting world of Etsy? First, you need to figure out what is currently popular and selling well on Etsy… and if your product fits the demand.
The Most Popular Etsy Shops
One way to determine if your product has a shot is to check out the most popular Etsy shops in the platform.
But first things first, don’t go to Etsy.
It may seem like a good idea to visit the most popular shops at Etsy, but I think you should start your product search elsewhere.
Specifically, Amazon Handmade’s Featured Artists list.
Why? Because you can take what is selling well at Amazon and then replicate that success at Etsy.
The following shops doesn’t necessarily house items that make up Etsy best sellers, but checking out the top 20 gives you an idea of what the buying market at Etsy wants.
Here are the 20 Top Etsy shops and the items (category of products) that have earned these stores these coveted spots:
BohemianFindings (1,659,534 sales) – This Canada-based craft supply store, which has been live since 2010, is home to silver, bronze, gold and stainless charms, bracelets, stamping supplies and a whole lot more.
August 2019 Update: BohemianFindings has outsold every other Etsy seller by almost a million items. Unfortunately, it looks like they moved their operations off of Etsy and setup their retail space on their own domain name.
1. PlannerKate1 (677,018 sales) – With BohemianFindings no longer listed, Kate Antesberger and her daily planners currently hold the crown of the Etsy shop with the most number of sales. She started in 2014 and managed to climb from #15 to #1 on the etsy best sellers list in just under a year.
2. nicoledebruin (543,549 sales) – In second, we Have Nicole and her Charm Collection selling over half a million orders since 2009.
3. clbeads (539,592 sales) – At third place, this store operates from Canada and has been selling beads, Swarovski, seedbeads, etc. since 2008.
4. yakutum (514,332 sales) – This Etsy shop hails from Turkey, Istanbul and has been selling jewelry supplies on the platform since 2008.
5. jewelersparadise (512,839 sales) – This is the second most popular US-based store, even if it only began selling pretty pendants and jewelry supplies in 2011.
6. yadanabeads (480,284 sales) – As its name suggest, this store (launched 2007) of beads and findings also has gemstones, glass, and a ton of 2-dollar-or-less items.
7. ModParty (464,981 sales) – This store didn’t make the top list last year, and now it’s the #7 best seller. Primarily selling bridesmaid gifts and wedding favors.
8. yummytreasures (453,495 sales) – Known for its wide range of beads, this Etsy store ties jewelersparadise for the #1 spot on US. It’s been up since 2008 and is popular for its set stones until today.
9. Beadboat1 (452,086 sales) – Another top 10 seller that wasn’t even on our list last year. Founded in 2014, their main focus is charms and beads.
10. Prettygrafikdesign (438,472 sales) – This Canada-based store is only 6 years old, but averages $180/day with its vectors and graphic design items. It’s the first non-craft supply store in the top 10 list, and a must-check-out.
11. goldswan (433,871 sales) – Jewelry supplies are all the rage in Etsy, so there’s no wonder why a store like this would average $130/day sales even if it has been selling at the platform since 2009.
12. OnceMoreWithLove (419,262 sales) – Once a top seller of hand-drawn stickers for your planners, but more recently moved to selling on their own site. You can see past product sales by looking at their reviews.
13. happysupplies (417,069 sales) – Hong Kong-based crafting supply store is similar to the top 5 Etsy, but preferred by customers in the Asian region for cheaper shipping fees.
14. GLDNxLayeredAndLong (416,365 sales) – Operating out of Washington, Chrissy mainly sells personalized necklaces, rings, and gifts.
15. shareliving (411,461 sales) – If you’re thinking about selling handmade jewelry trinkets and parts, check out this Etsy store for inspiration.
16. CreatingUnkamen (404,566 sales) – Another jewelry seller selling supplies and handmade gifts.
17. PrettyInPinkSupply (397,565 sales) – Operating since 2012, they mainly sell craft supplies. One of the few sellers not selling jewelry.
18. PeggySueAlso (388,452 sales) – As one of the more unique shops on this list, Peggy Sue sells leather and crafting supplies.
19. beadsmaker (376,069 sales) – It’s not really a secret what’s being sold here. They make charms, beands, and necklaces at very reasonable prices.
20. ScribblePrintsCo (366,879 sales) – For those planning to sell party supplies and other paper goods, look for this US-based Etsy store to see why journaling is here to stay.
What to Sell on Etsy
By looking at the top 20 Etsy stores, it’s easy to see the items most sought-after by the Etsy community.
What’s interesting with this chart is that even if the top 1 to 10 stores all sell craft supplies & tools, they all share the same loyal fan base.
Competition isn’t so fierce, since many of the items are priced below $2.
If you don’t know what to sell on Etsy yet, but wants to turn it into a business, here are 5 in-demand product categories that you should explore:
- Planner/journal – Any fan of planners and journals can attest to how huge this market is. Whether you focus on bullet journals, printables, or handmade accessories, there’s a space for you on Etsy.
- Digital products – For those with Photoshop and graphic design skills, you can put your talent to good use and earn extra income by selling digital products on Etsy. You can specialize in various kinds of items too… from t-shirt designs to stock photography and printables. You don’t have shipment and inventory to take care of either.
- Party decor – Because Etsy is home to thousands of creative people, the party decorations offered here aren’t just basic and mass-produced. Here, you can offer even the craziest party themes and people will pay for your effort.
- Specialty deserts – Etsy wouldn’t probably be your first choice to check out when you’re looking for candies, specialty deserts and other sweets. Heck, Etsy doesn’t even have a food category there, but you’d be able to find (or sell) drool-worthy deserts like this Vermont maple syrup leaf candies or these rose wine lollipop wedding favors.
- Personalized clothing for babies or pets – Clothing is a basic need, so personalized clothes made for loved ones (human or fur babies) will always be in-demand.
Of course, you can always get into the craft or jewelry supply category, but you should be armed with something unique to sell that would give you an edge over your competition.
Following trends, for example, adds more value to your jewelry store instead of just offering jewelry supplies that other stores are also selling.
What’s great about the Etsy community is that word spreads quickly if a store is selling amazing stuff, so wow your market and you won’t have problem introducing your Etsy store.
What’s the best selling category on Etsy?
If you’re not quite sold about the ideas above, you can continue to get inspiration from the first five Etsy Best Sellers leading the pack of every product category:
- Accessories – Gorgeous headpieces for girls from ThinkPinkBows, one-of-a-kind tutus and accessories from OnceUponATimeTutus, magnets/buttons with funny quotes made by BeanForest, and everything embroidered from TheTurnipSeed makes the top 5 accessories stores on Etsy.
- Art & Collectibles – Embroidery Designs by Avi leads the Art category, followed by the awesome work of PatentPrints, quirky book-page artwork of collageOrama, printable heaven at Studio20Designs, or high-quality photography backdrop from SwakyPrints.
- Bags & Purses – From good old handmade leather goods from Portland Leather (also known as Curtis Matsko), JooJoobs, and in blue, to the bohemian-inspired bags of Janine King Designs.
- Bath & Beauty – Etsy is also home to organic, homemade or customized beauty products like the soaps from TsunamiSuds by the Anderson Soap Company, PolishMeSilly’s fun and unique nail polish, or artisan organic skin care from Skin Food by AB.
- Books, Movies & Music – For the journal and planner fan, you can get lost in the thousands of journaling items from YellowPaperHouse or JournalingJane and adorable creations of craftedvan (bookmarks) and LittleMissDaisyrose (super-cute paperclips). Make sure to check out the fun guitar straps at California-based couchguitarstraps.
- Clothing – Custom shirts are big on Etsy (see: screen-printed goodies from zoeysattic, signaturetshirts, and Zen threads). Of course, specialty clothing stores, like silkandmore that sells silk robes and more, have quite a huge following.
- Electronics & Accessories – Even electronics can be given a personal touch, such as cute laptop sleeve cases by Bertie’s Closet, mouse pad sets from Laa766, fancy wrist rests of ChicMonogram, or cell phone cases (of Simply Monogram) and phone decals (from CuttinCrazy).
- Home & Living – This category is all about crystals – just check out the 3 Best Etsy Sellers TheSageGoddess, ilovelotus, and BlissCrystals. There’s also a ton of unique candles like Frostbeard and personalized cutting boards by TaylorCraftsEngraved.
- Jewelry – Personalized gold jewelry from GLDN LayeredAndLong, silver necklaces from Distinctly Ivy, custom coordinates of Mignon and Mignon, or rose-gold personalized jewelry by CaitlynMinimalist are all the rage on Etsy’s jewelry category.
- Pet Supplies – There’s a huge demand for pet-related products, as evident from stores like PuddleJumperPups (and its collection of dog collars), The Mad Stampers (awesome hand-stamped pet tags), Shop Mimi Green (and tons of personalized dog collar options), CollarDirect for cats and dogs, as well as veryvintage (with its organic cotton collars).
- Shoes – Do you have products that would beat soft-sole baby’s footwear by ScooterBooties or Ebooba? How about custom shoe design service like what cutiepiegoodies (and its bedazzled kid shoes), ShopPinkIvy (with its Swarovski-embedded Nike shoes), or FlipSideFlipFlops and its best-selling sand imprint flipflops?
- Toys & Games – Have toys or games in mind for your main Etsy product? Check out these adorable modern dolls from Gingermelon, wooden educational toys from JandPWoodProducts, or the funky pro collection of hoops by HoopMamas.
- Weddings – Weddings never run out of fashion, and Etsy best sellers know this. Get inspired by personalized bridal party gifts from ModParty or Bragging Bags. Be impressed with the groomsmen sets by Teals Prairie & Co. Or find ideas from wedding stationary or guestbook makers, Marry Grams and Alphabet Canvas, respectively.
Note that the Etsy best sellers featured here could change in the future. These should give you an idea if you’re launching an Etsy store anytime in 2019.
In addition to the ones I’ve listed above, you can also check out Etsy’s best-selling items list.
The Bottom Line: Etsy Best Sellers in 2019
Etsy is an amazing marketplace not only because it gives creative people an outlet to sell their art, crafts and other masterpieces in their handmade glory. Etsy has also built an impressive community that supports each other even in the real world (check local Etsy market events) and on their respective blogs.
The above list is fairly comprehensive as to what really sells on Etsy. If you can’t find something up there that fits your interests, Etsy likely isn’t the platform for you.
It’s an extremely valuable ecommerce platform though. PlannerKate is receiving over a thousand orders per day.
If you are trying to get started, make sure you follow our how to sell on Etsy guide to help find your footing.
Do you have a favorite store? Or one of your own that you’d like us to link to? Leave me a comment below with the details.