Etsy is the go-to online marketplace for people who want to buy and sell handmade, vintage, or unique factory-manufactured items from around the world and with the right pick from the Etsy Best Sellers list, it can be a lucrative online venture.
Launched in 2005, this platform has reached massive success with over 50 million members and almost $2 billion total sales in 2014.
Imagine how much bigger it is today.
If you’re a maker of crafts, art, jewelry, handmade beauty products, knick-knacks, toys and other quirky items you won’t find anywhere else, Etsy should be your first e-commerce platform option.
- Cheap startup costs – You need to pay 20 cents for each item you list. If it sells, you’ll pay Etsy a small fee (3.5% of the selling price).
- Well-built system – From its search feature to inventory management, logistics, and so on, Etsy makes the hard stuff look easy. The site is also updated regularly and prioritizes working on ease-of-use both for its buyers and sellers.
- Free traffic and marketing – You can always sell your stuff on your own website, but listing them on Etsy means you won’t have to work on building traffic, marketing your site, and making sure people find your products online.
- Friendly community and support – Etsy has a tight-knit community of creators who support each other online. Not only do they advertise items from fellow Etsy sellers, they also help out with common buy-and-sell questions. The in-house Etsy support isn’t that bad either.
- Etsy events – Building an online store doesn’t have to mean you’ll be stuck in cyberspace forever. At Etsy, you get to participate at various localized events created by various Etsy teams.
Ready to join the exciting world of Etsy? First, you need to figure out what is currently popular and selling well on Etsy… and if your product fits the demand.
The Most Popular Etsy Shops
One way to determine if your product has a shot is to check out the most popular Etsy shops in the platform.
These shops doesn’t necessarily house items that make up Etsy best sellers, but checking out the top 20 gives you an idea of what the buying market at Etsy wants.
Here are the 20 Top Etsy shops and the items (category of products) that have earned these stores these coveted spots:
1) BohemianFindings (1,378,439 sales) – This Canada-based craft supply store, which has been live since 2010, is home to silver, bronze, gold and stainless charms, bracelets, stamping supplies and a whole lot more.
2) clbeads (503,920 sales) – At second place, this store also hails from Canada and has been selling beads, Swarovski, seedbeads, etc. since 2008.
3) nicoledebruin (470,333 sales) – UK-based charms store that has been live since 2009.
4) jewelersparadise (457,164 sales) – This is the most popular US-based store, even if it only began selling pretty pendants and jewelry supplies in 2011.
5) yummytreasures (424,779 sales) – Known for its wide range of beads, this Etsy store ties jewelersparadise for the #1 spot on US. It’s been up since 2008 and is popular for its set stones until today.
6) yadanabeads (416,998 sales) – As its name suggest, this store (launched 2007) of beads and findings also has gemstones, glass, and a ton of 2-dollar-or-less items.
7) goldswan (407,826 sales) – Jewelry supplies are all the rage in Etsy, so there’s no wonder why a store like this would average $130/day sales even if it has been selling at the platform since 2009.
8) happysupplies (389,793 sales) – Hong Kong-based crafting supply store is similar to the top 5 Etsy, but preferred by customers in the Asian region for cheaper shipping fees.
9) Prettygrafikdesign (387,140 sales) – This Canada-based store is only 6 years old, but averages $180/day with its vectors and graphic design items. It’s the first non-craft supply store in the top 10 list, and a must-check-out.
10) shareliving (382,588 sales) – If you’re thinking about selling handmade jewelry trinkets and parts, check out this Etsy store for inspiration.
11) OnceMoreWithLove (369,479 sales) – Canada-based store makes awesome hand-drawn stickers for planners. It’s been killing its sales, especially since it only opened its doors in 2015.
12) yakutum (365,859 sales) – This Etsy shop hails from Turkey, Istanbul and has been selling jewelry supplies on the platform since 2008.
13) ScribblePrintsCo (364,017 sales) – For those planning to sell party supplies and other paper goods, look for this US-based Etsy store to see why journaling is here to stay.
14) dimestoreemporium (361,674 sales) – Probably the oldest US-based jewelry supply Etsy store in the top 20, Dime Store Emporium has continued its business even on “vacation mode” since May 2018.
15) PlannerKate1 (352,721 sales) – One of the most popular Etsy sellers of planner items (stickers, printables and so on), PlannerKate has only launched its store in 2014.
There’s a list of the day’s highest-selling items on Etsy, along with the updated list of top Etsy sellers if you want to see more inspirations.
What to Sell on Etsy
By looking at the top 15 Etsy stores, it’s easy to see the items most sought-after by the Etsy community.
What’s interesting with this chart is that even if the top 1 to 10 stores all sell craft supplies & tools, they all share the same loyal fan base.
Competition isn’t so fierce, since many of the items are priced below $2.
If you don’t know what to sell on Etsy yet, but wants to turn it into a business, here are 5 in-demand product categories that you should explore:
- Planner/journal – Any fan of planners and journals can attest to how huge this market is. Whether you focus on bullet journals, printables, or handmade accessories, there’s a space for you on Etsy.
- Digital products – For those with Photoshop and graphic design skills, you can put your talent to good use and earn extra income by selling digital products on Etsy. You can specialize in various kinds of items too… from t-shirt designs to stock photography and printables. You don’t have shipment and inventory to take care of either.
- Party decor – Because Etsy is home to thousands of creative people, the party decorations offered here aren’t just basic and mass-produced. Here, you can offer even the craziest party themes and people will pay for your effort.
- Specialty deserts – Etsy wouldn’t probably be your first choice to check out when you’re looking for candies, specialty deserts and other sweets. Heck, Etsy doesn’t even have a food category there, but you’d be able to find (or sell) drool-worthy deserts like this Vermont maple syrup leaf candies or these rose wine lollipop wedding favors.
- Personalized clothing for babies or pets – Clothing is a basic need, so personalized clothes made for loved ones (human or fur babies) will always be in-demand.
Of course, you can always get into the craft or jewelry supply category, but you should be armed with something unique to sell that would give you an edge over your competition.
Following trends, for example, adds more value to your jewelry store instead of just offering jewelry supplies that other stores are also selling.
What’s great about the Etsy community is that word spreads quickly if a store is selling amazing stuff, so wow your market and you won’t have problem introducing your Etsy store.
What’s the best selling category on Etsy?
If you’re not quite sold about the ideas above, you can continue to get inspiration from the first five Etsy Best Sellers leading the pack of every product category:
- Accessories – Gorgeous headpieces for girls from ThinkPinkBows, handmade flower girl dresses by PoshPeanutKids, one-of-a-kind tutus and accessories from OnceUponATimeTutus, magnets/buttons with funny quotes made by BeanForest, and everything embroidered from TheTurnipSeed makes the top 5 accessories stores on Etsy.
- Art & Collectibles – Embroidery Designs by Avi leads the Art category, followed by the awesome work of PatentPrints, quirky book-page artwork of collageOrama, printable heaven at Studio20Designs, or high-quality photography backdrop from SwakyPrints.
- Bags & Purses – From good old handmade leather goods from Portland Leather (also known as Curtis Matsko), JooJoobs, and in blue, to the bohemian-inspired bags of Janine King Designs.
- Bath & Beauty – Etsy is also home to organic, homemade or customized beauty products like the soaps from TsunamiSuds by the Anderson Soap Company, PolishMeSilly’s fun and unique nail polish, or artisan organic skin care from Skin Food by AB.
- Books, Movies & Music – For the journal and planner fan, you can get lost in the thousands of journaling items from YellowPaperHouse or JournalingJane and adorable creations of craftedvan (bookmarks) and LittleMissDaisyrose (super-cute paperclips). Make sure to check out the fun guitar straps at California-based couchguitarstraps.
- Clothing – Custom shirts are big on Etsy (see: screen-printed goodies from everfitte, zoeysattic, signaturetshirts, and Zen threads). Of course, specialty clothing stores, like silkandmore that sells silk robes and more, have quite a huge following.
- Electronics & Accessories – Even electronics can be given a personal touch, such as cute laptop sleeve cases by Bertie’s Closet, mouse pad sets from Laa766, fancy wrist rests of ChicMonogram, or cell phone cases (of Simply Monogram) and phone decals (from CuttinCrazy).
- Home & Living – This category is all about crystals – just check out the 3 Best Etsy Sellers TheSageGoddess, ilovelotus, and BlissCrystals. There’s also a ton of unique candles like Frostbeard and personalized cutting boards by TaylorCraftsEngraved.
- Jewelry – Personalized gold jewelry from GLDN LayeredAndLong, silver necklaces from Distinctly Ivy, custom coordinates of Mignon and Mignon, or rose-gold personalized jewelry by CaitlynMinimalist are all the rage on Etsy’s jewelry category.
- Pet Supplies – There’s a huge demand for pet-related products, as evident from stores like PuddleJumperPups (and its collection of dog collars), The Mad Stampers (awesome hand-stamped pet tags), Shop Mimi Green (and tons of personalized dog collar options), CollarDirect for cats and dogs, as well as veryvintage (with its organic cotton collars).
- Shoes – Do you have products that would beat soft-sole baby’s footwear by ScooterBooties or Ebooba? How about custom shoe design service like what cutiepiegoodies (and its bedazzled kid shoes), ShopPinkIvy (with its Swarovski-embedded Nike shoes), or FlipSideFlipFlops and its best-selling sand imprint flipflops?
- Toys & Games – Have toys or games in mind for your main Etsy product? Check out these adorable modern dolls from Gingermelon, wooden educational toys from LittleSaplingToys and JandPWoodProducts, or the funky pro collection of hoops by HoopMamas.
- Weddings – Weddings never run out of fashion, and Etsy best sellers know this. Get inspired by personalized bridal party gifts from ModParty or Bragging Bags. Be impressed with the groomsmen sets by Teals Prairie & Co. Or find ideas from wedding stationary or guestbook makers, Marry Grams and Alphabet Canvas, respectively.
Note that the Etsy best sellers featured here could change in the future. These should give you an idea if you’re launching an Etsy store anytime in 2018. In addition to the ones I’ve listed above, you can also check out Etsy’s best-selling items list.
The Bottom Line: Etsy Best Sellers in 2018
Etsy is an amazing marketplace not only because it gives creative people an outlet to sell their art, crafts and other masterpieces in their handmade glory. Etsy has also built an impressive community that supports each other even in the real world (check local Etsy market events) and on their respective blogs.
These are two major reasons why you should consider Etsy as your ecommerce platform if you’re launching a web-based arts, crafts or custom store.