Home > Make Money Online > Have We Finally Found a Legitimate Data Entry Job?

Have We Finally Found a Legitimate Data Entry Job?

Gretchen wrote us asking if we knew anything about keyforcash.com, which is an apparent home typing /data entry job. We don’t, but enough people have asked us that we finally decided to take a look. We can’t do a full I’ve Tried That review, however, because all we can do is sign up. KeyforCash states that it might contact us in the future and we might be invited to join. Sheesh! I’ve never felt so snubbed.

Not really. Actually, it was kind of refreshing to be told, “Hey, we don’t always need new people, so we’ll put you on a waiting list” instead of a flashy timer and blinking text screaming at me, “HURRY! We only have 8 positions left!”

Is KeyforCash.com a Scam?

We don’t know. But none of the signs are there. Take a close look at its landing page. Despite the cheesy dollar signs background, it’s clean and simple, which is a good sign.

By contrast, look at the horrible landing page of typeinternational.com. It’s busy and unappealing, and every pixel is dedicated to selling me something. And that’s just part of the home page, mind you. (Oh, and “Unlimited Guaranteed Income?” Puh-leeze.)

Here are some other good signs that KeyforCash is being straight with you:

• It makes no ridiculous claims about how much you’ll make.
  • It states pretty clearly what you’ll be doing if you work for them.
  • There are no pictures of shiny, happy people or bundles of cash.
  • There are no Clickbank images of anyone’s alleged earnings.
  • KeyforCash doesn’t charge you to work for them.

That last one is a big one, as you know if you’ve spent any time hanging around I’ve Tried That. Steve and I chant a mantra, “Don’t ever pay money to an employer. It’s supposed to work the other way around.” (Click here to read our Top 10 Tips for Avoiding Scams)

This is not an endorsement of KeyforCash, but at least we’re not immediately sure that it’s trying to rip you off, unlike most of the other crap we sign up for. If anyone has worked for them and can give us more info, speak up in the comments.

1. Devilish Diva says:

You also Carla! WoW! I want this job with keyforcash so very badly! My sweet husband is deployed. He is in the Middle East and I need something to occupy my mind. This would be PERFECT! Any advice from you or Yvonne would be welcomed and so appreciated :-)

2. Devilish Diva says:

WoW Yvonne, I am sooooooooo jealous of you…..lol J/K I am really happy for you. I am attempting to qualify and am anxious to do so.

How is it so far? How did you know that you were hired? After you passed everything how long did it take for you to receive an assignment/work?

3. I started typing for keysforcash.com in Januaray and I have received 4 checks from them so far, totaling over $150. Not too bad in exchange for some of my free time. I’m happy with that!

4. Is it ok to put my social on this website…it does not look like it is secure at all…I might sign up just because of this.

5. Is Key For Cash having financial problems? Started a few years ago and the pay was .85. Last year it was .55/.50. Now it is .40 and sometimes on weekends .25. Seems like there are problems going on we dont know about. Is it a legitimate job?
    Sure it is, but why the continuos drop in pay scale.

6. i found the keyforcash.com website thru a website looking for legit home jobs. i registered took the typing test 2 weeks ago. i started and dont have much time to key but got to my 50 dollar mark for both weeks i received my first check today it took about a week to get which is fine. i have seen alot of people saying its not legit but i havent had a problem. they send a 1099 and you pay taxes as you are a sub contractor hope this helps

7. I sincerely feel sorry for anyone who wastes their time on Keyforcash. You will not be paid. IT’s A SCAM.

8. linda collins says:

I signed up for key for cash i took a evaluation test i am waiting to see if i get hired.

9. here is a place you will get a paying survey.Believe me

10. I worked for Keyforcash.com. After finally reaching the $50.00 amount that they require, I waited for my check. THEY SENT NOTHING. When I contacted them by email (the only way to contact them), they responded that they would look into it. Now they don’t respond at all. STAY AWAY FROM KEYFORCASH.COM.

11. Stay away from keyforcash.com. I signed up, worked and finally qualified for the minimum $50.00 in August. I’ve received nothing. They won’t let you contact them until 30 days after they were suppose to send the money. Then you get an email saying they’re researching it, then nothing.

12. Does anyone know of another legitimate, no fee website for data entry (but not medical transcription jobs)? I found a few but you have to live close by to sign up.

13. Do anyone know if you have to pay tax with key for cash.

14. I signed up in April ’08 and was accepted a few hours later. It’s not too hard to rack up fifty dollars a week of typing . . . as long as there is work to be had! Work was very sporadic for July and most of August. They do pay, though. Paychecks seem to come about two to three weeks after the payout date. But I’ve been nosing around and it seems that the checks are being sent out later and later for the last couple months (I wouldn’t know since there wasn’t enough work for a payout during that time).

What they do is they put little snippets of text (could be a set of numbers, letters, or combination thereof) in boxes on the screen. There is one box where the snippet in progress sits, then a box underneath it where you type what you see. Under that box are three more boxes of snippets (so you can see what is coming and therefore type with less pauses).

If you do this, you have to realize that you are never going to be able to make a true living off it. The most I’ve made per hour is maybe six dollars. Usually it’s less because there isn’t enough work or because snippets take time to load (so it isn’t as if you are constantly typing). There are many times during the day when there is just no work to be had.

Hope that helps!

15. I just came across this website, what kind of data entry work is it?

16. I just signed up myself I have been trying to find a job that I can work from home to earn some extra money without someone pulling a scam on me. The only reason why I decided to try this one was because they stated that I did not have to pay anything and they didn’t ask for any personal information such as banking accounts etc.. So I hope that this does work out.

17. I have been with keyforcash since April and I have received a check every other week for my work. Since I can only work it part time I average about 60.00 every 2 weeks wich to me is good. It’s gas money. If I hade the time I could make more if I wanted, but I work 70 – 80 hours a week at my regular job.

18. After reading all your comments, can someone update if any payment was received for the job with keyforcash?

19. I signed up at the beginning of the week and was accepted almost immediately! I was quite surprised after reading some of the comments about the site, on how people were put on waiting lists. Anyways, it is very easy and the instructions are very clear with good examples to follow. The jobs vary in size and the amount of time you spend on them. This is great because I can do a little here and there- I don’t have a lot of time to begin with anyway! I’ll try to keep ya’ll posted and if and when I receive my 1st check!

20. I don’t know, I guess if you guys say it’s legit it might be. I have signed up with them 2 years back. I was put on a waiting list and I’m still waiting. How do you guys get signed up within months?
    I don’t know how they take people in since you don’t sent a resume, I would think they would go down the list of people whom signed up.

21. I was accepted and after filling out an electronic W9, I was able to do a couple of jobs. I did those jobs just to learn how the whole thing works. It seems to be for real thus far. I’ll wait and see if I can get up to $50 (which is when you can get a check sent to you).

22. I applied to Keyforcash several weeks ago and a few days ago was accepted. : )
    I was able to sign in and try it out last night for the 1st time. The payrates are variable and they can go up with proven accuracy also. Last night they were paying .55 per 1,000 approved (accurate) keystrokes. They have easy to follow instructions with examples and I really enjoyed it.
    They will send out checks at prescheduled times weekly WHEN your acct. balance reaches $50. I am happy with it.

23. FYI, There is another website out there that is called Keystrokes 4 Cash, and it is a SCAM!! So beware.

24. […] Another apparently legitimate work-at-home opportunity? That’s the second one in a week! (Here’s the first.) More than the last 6 months combined! I think it’s good karma coming our way for exposing […]

25. I am from Canada and cannot sign up with keyforcash.com. Has anyone heard of keystrokes4cash.com and is it legit?

26. Fany AKA Da Fanster says:

I signed up.. so I guess now Im on the waiting list. I’ll keep you guys posted. Secret Agent Fany is at it again.. LOL..

27. I am so sorry it was a typo. I was supposed to put .45 cent per 1,000 keystrokes.

28. I wondered the same thing, Bob. Even more so now that I know they pay .45 per verified keystroke. How can they possibly afford that when real data entry jobs might pay $10 an hour? A person could do thousands of keystrokes in an hour.

Michael, how big are the jobs? They must be tiny.

29. My initial thought was… this may not be a scam but it may be a neat way of building a mailing list on keyforcash.com’s part while offering a job that may come by every once in a while.

30. Nice to see you doing some research for work at home jobs. I run a website that specializes in doing just that so if you ever need any help with some research let me know. I can personally tell you that keyforcash.com is legitimate and they pay .45 cents per confirmed keystroke. Depending on how fast you type, you can make a lot or just a little of money. Confirmed keystroke means that you types in the right thing. They verify that by having multiple reps type the same thing and then make sure that it matches. It is all automatic so it’s pretty simple. I have had the experience of the check being a week late and sometime no work to be keyed but that’s not very often. If you have any other questions let me know.