If you love driving and are okay to drive other people’s cars, you’ll be happy to know that you can get paid to deliver cars from one point to another.
- Seeking New Product Testers - Get a GIANT box of free stuff sent right to your door. All you have to do is rate what you get.
- Opinion Outpost - Test out new products and get paid to answer questions about them! Work with companies like Apple, Nike, and Amazon!
- Money for Your Thoughts - The #1 survey site that doesn't suck. Short surveys, high payouts, simply the best.
- Nielsen - Download and install their app and get paid $50!
For instance, you can deliver cars from the pier to the dealership, the dealership to a new car owner’s home, whether local or across the country.
Before you panic, though, this post isn’t about a truck driving job. You won’t be driving a massive truck and hauling 10 new cars with it across another state.
Instead, you’ll be responsible for driving a car from point A to point B.
Getting paid to deliver cars could be a quick gig within the city or a multi-day ride across different states.
Today, let’s take a look at how to get paid to deliver cars: what you need, what to expect, and where to get car delivery jobs so you can start earning quickly.
Car Delivery Job Requirements
If you have a valid driver’s license, a good driving record, and some extra time to spare, a car delivery job can be something you’d enjoy doing.
Of course, driving for hours on end can be lonely, since most of these jobs do not allow you to drive along with somebody else.
This is why you should have a genuine love for traveling to new places by yourself.
You normally have to follow a strict schedule. However, if the journey would take two or more days, you’ll probably have time to sleep or take bathroom breaks at stopovers.
You should be OK to sleep at roadside inns when necessary.
The cool thing about this job is you are free to sign up with as many car delivery jobs you want.
For example, if you’re hired to deliver a car to Chicago from Philadelphia, you can visit all the attractions you want to see in Chicago within a day or two while you’re in the city. And then from Chicago, you can accept another car delivery gig to another destination, such as Los Angeles.
4 Ways to Get Paid to Move Cars
Generally speaking, a “driveaway driver” is anyone who transports a car from point A to point B.
Sometimes the people who hire driveaway drivers are those who moved to another part of the country, flew ahead to their new house, and need someone else to drive their car to their new house.
Company cars are often put through these transactions, as large companies move cars they provide to employees from one office to the next.
Roadie is an “on-the-way delivery service that connects people with stuff to send to drivers already heading that way.”
Cars aren’t the only ones being delivered through this app. Roadie drivers do other tasks like delivering medicine to an elderly patient’s house, picking up groceries and delivering to another person, delivering lost luggage from an airport to the owner’s house, or delivering a school project left at home.
You can either check what gigs are available near you or wait for a notification that informs you whenever you match a gig.
You can then check out the details of the trip (for example, delivering dogs to its new owner), how much the pay will be, and think about whether you’d like to take the job for the amount of money you’ll be paid.
If you do decide to accept the job, fulfill what needs to be done, and then get paid.
No joke. Here are the fastest ways to make easy money online. Click here to see how.
According to the site, you can earn up to $15 per trip for local gigs and up to $650 for long haul deliveries. You can commit to multiple gigs at a time as long as they’re nearby, but don’t expect to get rich this way.
Roadie doesn’t have many car delivery jobs, and you’re lucky to receive one notification per week. But if you can perform one local gig a week for $50 each, that’s an extra $200 you wouldn’t have had if you didn’t download the Roadie app.
This is probably the largest and most popular driveaway company in North America, with over 40 different offices in plenty of cities, including Canada.
To get paid to deliver cars for Auto Driveaway, you must be between 23 and 75 years of age, must have had a valid driver’s license in your state of residence for at least a year, and must have a clean driving record.
Here’s how to become a driver for Auto Driveaway:
- Join the team of “Under 10,000 pounds” (there are also positions for truck drivers available) and fill out a comprehensive application form, which includes your social security number, home address and driver’s license history for the past three years, and employment history for the past 10 years.
- If you pass the application, you’ll receive access to the jobs available in specific cities.
- When you accept a job, you leave a deposit (around $300 to $500), inspect the car for any kind of dings (big and small), and go on your way.
- Check the rules for each gig. The tricky ones involve fuel allocations (some offer only the first tank for free, the next ones are on you) and driving after dark.
- Once you reach your destination, call the owner where to meet up so you can get his signature. Unfortunately, you can’t leave car keys in the mailbox.
- Visit any Auto Driveaway office and get the deposit back via check.
Driveaway USA moves vehicles and delivers peace of mind, according to their motto. You can get paid to deliver cars once you’re accepted as an independent contractor.
Driveaway USA accepts part-time and full-time drivers. You can choose destinations you wish to take and participate in their referral bonus program as well as their safe driving bonus program.
This Canada-based company drives vehicles to and from the Sunbelt, specifically Florida, Arizona, and California.
To apply to be a driver for them, you need to be at least 30 years of age, no criminal record, clean driving record, have a Visa or Mastercard for the deposit, and able to cross the Canadian border.
Finding Other Car Delivery Jobs
You’ll be surprised at how many driveaway companies are there all over the country. Just a quick Google search with the keyword “driveaway companies” in quotes plus your zip code or city and you’ll get a list of the companies nearby.
Most of these companies work like Auto Driveaway, Driveaway USA, or Toronto Drive Away:
- You will be asked to complete an application form and wait for the reply.
- If hired, you will most probably work as an independent contractor, as very few companies offer this kind of job as a full-time position with benefits.
- Some companies assign you to work on a particular dispatch, while other companies allow you to choose a dispatch from the company’s website or app.
- Get paid to deliver cars by assignment or on a regular pay schedule, usually weekly or bimonthly. It depends on company policy.
Local Car Dealerships and Rental Companies
If you’re trying to branch out and look for clients on your own, ask your local car dealership and rental companies about it.
Since both types of companies fall under the car and transportation industry, there’s a big chance that rental companies and local car dealerships might be interested in driveaway services every now and then.
For example, car rental companies can hire you to transport vehicles back to their office from repair shops, or after a one-way rental.
Advertising Your Services As a Cross-Country Driver
Another way to get paid to deliver cars is to offer your services independently of a driveaway company.
It’s not highly recommended, as being connected to a bigger driveaway company means customers tend to trust you more.
However, if you don’t meet some of the requirements of larger companies (which are, admittedly, rather stringent), being directly hired by customers may be a viable option for you to break into the industry.
Here are some of the places you can advertise your services.
- Online classifieds such as Craigslist
- Forums on travel websites, such as Hole in the Donut or My Family Travels
- Platforms for drivers and passengers, such as iDriveYourCar or Professional Drivers
How Much Can You Make Delivering Cars?
A self-employed contractor can expect to make $300 to $400 per vehicle delivered. Of course, this will depend on the distance traveled and other factors, such as if the car includes other things like a pet, or boxes of the car owner’s stuff.
You can make money from home and it doesn't have to be challenging. Click here to see how.
This is a legitimate job. You can get paid to deliver cars, but the income is often on the low side.
Customers pay for the gas it costs to have the cars moved from one place to the next.
Shorter deliveries, which involves transporting cars within a city, are often paid on an hourly basis.
Full-time Potential for Delivering Cars
Is delivering cars for a living feasible? Can you get paid to deliver cars and turn it into a full-time job?
The only way I can see this work is if you aggressively find clients on all fronts. Join agencies like Auto Driveaway, but also build a network of contacts locally, so you’ll be able to have dispatches every working day.
Be like many family-owned driveaway companies in the country who probably started as an independent contractor and turned it into a business. This would involve a lot of work, from networking, finding clients, marketing, and actually driving the cars.
Other considerations include:
- Do you hire people as full-time employees, find fellow driveaway contractors, or do you deliver cars yourself?
- Are you going to offer this service as part of another business? (Tow-trucking business, car rental business, pet transport business, and other somewhat connected niches can work, too.)
- Are you willing to pay insurance? Yes, some people would ask if your company has insurance before signing up for driveaway services.
Other Ways To Earn From Driving
If you drive a pick-up truck, there are even more ways for you to bring in some cash.
Does delivering cars sound like something you want to do? Or does getting paid to drive your own car sound more attractive? Tell us what you think in the comments!