If you’re looking for info on how to get a refund on DoorDash, you came to the right place.
- Opinion Outpost - The #1 survey site that doesn't suck. Short surveys, high payouts, simply the best.
- Branded Surveys - Test out new products and get paid to answer questions about them! Work with companies like Apple, Nike, and Amazon!
- Inbox Dollars - Get paid to check your email. $5 bonus just for signing up!
- Nielsen - Download their app and get paid $50!
Ordering from DoorDash is usually hassle-free, even if you’re competing with over 1.5 million customers worldwide waiting for their meals delivered to them.
The app lets you buy take-out food from a pre-curated list of merchants with just a few taps on your phone. But if you got unlucky, you might receive a wrong, cold, or incomplete order now, which can be super frustrating.
I know you’re hungry, or in some instances, hangry (that’s a hungry+angry combo of emotions), but don’t fret. There’s a way to get your money back. Read on to learn about the DoorDash refund policy, so you can get answers on:
- How to cancel a DoorDash order if you made a mistake
- What to do if your delivered food is cold or incomplete
- How to get money back on DoorDash, and
- What circumstances allow you to request a refund.
Doordash Terms and Conditions
If you read the official DoorDash terms, you might panic to learn that the company does not issue refunds.
It states that all charges paid for a completed and delivered order will be final and non-refundable, adding that Doordash won’t be obligated to give you credit or refund.
Fortunately, non-refundable terms only apply to cases wherein you received a complete order, or it was delivered to you without issues.
This means it is possible to ask for a refund if you were able to cancel your order before delivery, or if you can prove there’s an issue with your order upon delivery.
DoorDash also stated that the company may choose to grant a refund or account credit at their sole discretion on a case-to-case basis.
Types of DoorDash Refunds
There are two types of refunds customers can request – refunds on normal orders and refunds on subscriptions.
1. DoorDash Subscription Refund (DashPass Refund)
DashPass, the monthly DoorDash subscription worth $9.99/month, lets customers enjoy free delivery on any order $15 or more. If you purchased an annual DashPass subscription, you can:
- Obtain a full refund of your purchase price, as long as you cancel in the first 48 hours.
- Cancel within 30 days of your first eligible DashPass order to be able to refund your yearly subscription charge
2. Refunds on Normal Orders
Here’s a general guideline on what to expect for normal orders:
- Full refund: You’ll need to cancel before the restaurant confirms your order and before a Dasher (the courier who will deliver the order to your location) has been assigned.
- No refund: You can’t request a refund if the restaurant already confirmed and is preparing your order. You also can’t refund once a Dasher has been assigned.
If either one of the two (restaurant confirmation or Dasher assignment) has occurred, DoorDash could decide to grant a partial refund. However, the company would also be the one to decide how much of your money should be returned.
So how can you make sure DoorDash grants your order refund request? You must cancel the order on time.
How to Get a Refund on DoorDash
The process varies slightly, depending on what type of refund you’re processing.
DoorDash Refunds on Missing Items
Before anything else, please don’t force the Dasher to give your money back.
This could be a case of “don’t shoot the messenger,” especially if the restaurant is at fault and forgot some of your items. (In this case, the establishment is responsible for a partial refund).
However, if the Dasher is found to be responsible for the missing item, they could also pay for a partial refund.
To report a missing item/s with your order:
- Open the DoorDash app, click “Orders”
- Choose “Help” tab and choose what was wrong with your order.
- Select “Order Issues” and “Items made incorrectly.” (You can also choose “wrong size,” “wrong menu item,” “unexpected ingredients, and so on if appropriate to your case)
- Follow the promo to contact a DoorDash customer service agent to get a refund.
Canceling Orders to Get a Refund
If the establishment or restaurant has yet to confirm your order, or if the Dasher has yet to be assigned, you can cancel your order by following these steps:
- Access your account from your app or website.
- Go to “Orders” and find the one you want to cancel.
- Choose “Help” (this is found at the top-right corner of your screen) and choose “Can I cancel my order?”
- Follow the prompts on the screen. This is where you’ll be told if you’ll be given credits or refunded for your order. Sometimes, you may be given a chance to pick how you’d like to receive your refund.
Get a Refund for Orders Delivered to the Wrong Address
If your Dasher never arrives with your order, report your case through the DoorDash app.
To do this, open your app and:
No joke. Here are the fastest ways to make easy money online. Click here to see how.
- Choose the “Orders” tab and select “the order was not delivered”.
- Click “Help” in the upper right corner.
- Under “Delivery Issues,” choose the “Order never arrived” option.
- Follow the prompt, and choose either to get a refund to the original payment method or account credit, or
- Talk to a customer service agent.
For all other issues, you can let support know you were unhappy with your order.
While you may not be able to get all of your money back, they may issue a credit or offer you a promotion. After all, they do want to keep their users happy so they continue to order from their service.
How Long Does a DoorDash Refund Take?
In most cases, refunds are processed immediately.
However, it would reach your bank account only after 5 to 7 days. The amount will be refunded to the credit card you used in paying for your order.
There will be a confirmation e-mail whenever you request a refund from DoorDash – It will include the date of your order and the amount to be refunded.
You can even check the status of your refund.
From the app, you can also check the “Orders” tab and select “Order History” where the refund information and your receipt should be shown.
Contact DoorDash support if it’s been over 7 business days after the refund issue date.
What’s Your DoorDash Refund Experience?
Have you ever had to cancel your DoorDash order and process a refund? How long did it take the money to get to your account?
Has anybody experienced getting a refund rejection from DoorDash?
I’d love to know your first-hand experiences with DoorDash refunds and how you dealt with your concerns.
Don’t miss my post on 12 Weird Ways to Make Money – you never know if you’re part of the target market for these opportunities.