For many disabled people, meeting the demands of traditional jobs can be close to impossible. Luckily, the internet is opening up all kinds of opportunities for the disabled to work from home.
- Opinion Outpost - The #1 survey site that doesn't suck. Short surveys, high payouts, simply the best.
- Survey Junkie - Test out new products and get paid to answer questions about them! Work with companies like Apple, Nike, and Amazon!
- Inbox Dollars - Get paid to check your email. $5 bonus just for signing up!
- Nielsen - Download their app and get paid $50!
I’ve put together a list of companies that are currently hiring for work from home jobs, plus resources on how to find and apply for these jobs, and other opportunities that are available.
The disabled make up a large portion of those not in the labor force.
People with disabilities used to have difficulties in finding employment. When they do find companies hiring disabled people, the positions available may not match their work experience, or the job location isn’t accessible.
Fortunately, this isn’t the case anymore.
The internet, globalization, and the advancement of computers and smart devices have made legitimate work from home jobs available for disabled persons.
Companies have embraced the fact that even people with disabilities have valuable experiences and skills that could make them the best candidates for a job, despite physical limitations or other medical conditions that make it hard for them to perform in traditional work environments.
If you or someone you know is having a hard time looking for legitimate work from home jobs for disabled people, this comprehensive guide will help you build a successful home-based career.
Stop! Are you on SSI or SSDI? We can find a job for you!
My Employment Options (MEO) works directly with job seekers with disabilities to place them into work-at-home positions, free of charge.
If you are currently receiving SSI or SSDI benefits, between the ages of 18 and 64, and ready to return to work, click here and fill out the Work at Home application under Option 1.
MEO will contact you within 48 hours and work with you directly to place you in a legitimate work-from-home job.
Types of Legitimate Work from Home Jobs for Disabled People
When searching work from home jobs, you’ll be faced with several terms like “remote,” “flexible,” “telecommute,” “work at home,” etc. that mostly mean the same thing.
General requirements for working from the comforts of your home include a fully functional computer, high-speed internet, and excellent written and verbal English communication skills.
Here are some examples of jobs people with disabilities can do:
- Data entry and transcription – Medical transcription is the most in-demand in this field, so if you have a bit of medical background and are able to type or use a headset, there are unlimited work-at-home transcription jobs for you.
- Writing – You can write as a service for other people, or write to earn passive income for yourself. Either way, writing online is a lucrative business that will never run out of fashion.
- Customer service representative – Whether you are able to provide voice calls, or prefer chat-based or email-based customer support, as long as you love solving problems of other people, you can start finding CSR jobs here.
- Translation – If you can speak or write fluently in another language besides English, there are tons of translation jobs online. But you’ll have an edge over your competition if you have another specialty such as law, medicine, finance, and so on.
- Teaching – You can tutor school kids online, teach English to a person from a non-ESL country, or dedicate your time sharing your knowledge about finance, IT, or other advanced subjects to other students who need your help.
- Any job that can be done from home – If applicable, you can submit a work-at-home proposal to your present boss. There’s a huge chance this will work if you have an irreplaceable skill and that your tasks can be done completely from home.
People with physical challenges could work from home, as long as their abilities to type or voice out their thoughts remain.
Modern gadgets developed to help people with vision loss and hearing loss also allow them to perform day-to-day computer tasks.
However, people with intellectual challenges (brain injuries, memory loss, etc.) may find online businesses a better alternative for earning income. I’ll talk about more of this later.
If you’re interested in trying out every online job first, before you commit to something full-time, I recommend checking out our list of side hustles.
23 Companies Hiring Disabled People
If you wish to explore what kinds of legitimate work from home jobs for disabled people some well-known companies are offering, here are some real examples:
Finance, engineering, sales, and management positions available. Jobs come with medical benefits and 26 weeks of paid parental leave.
Click the “US remote” filter under location options to see available jobs.
The world’s biggest ecommerce platform has a continuous need for customer service representatives (pays $10/hour), but also opens managerial positions.
No joke. Here are the fastest ways to make easy money online. Click here to see how.
All employees have medical benefits, insurance, and other benefits. Also, they provide accommodations for their applicants who are disabled.
Named one of the top 20 companies for remote jobs, the positions American Express offers mostly cover Customer Service, Travel and Lifestyle, Sales, Human Resources, and more.
Paid time off, benefits, and other perks make working for American Express an attractive option.
While the company has over 40 offices across the US, about 40% of its employees telecommute.
The minimum wage here starts at $16/hour with enhanced medical benefits and health insurance.
The company has around 100 customer service work-from-home jobs available at any time. While this job only pays $12.85/hour, CSRs here are paid bonuses based on both individual and team performance, which can add up to over $600/month.
Named DiversityInc’s 2015 Top 25 Noteworthy Company, this insurance company is known for hiring veterans with disabilities.
There are positions in sales, customer care, and financial services – all of which pay with health benefits including vision and dental, paid overtime, and other bonuses.
Almost all job categories at GitHub offer a work-from-home position.
Be sure to check all the openings since over half of “Hubbers” work remotely across 18 countries.
Pay and benefits vary by country.
Apple’s At-Home Advisors, team managers, and area managers give Apple fans a chance to serve their favorite brand by providing customer support.
In return, both part-time and full-time employees are paid competitive salaries, benefits package, and product discounts.
Apple prides itself on inclusion and “explores new ways to support employees with disabilities.”
For those with programming and tech-related careers, this company offers remote positions around the world. Search for the “Remote US” location to look at work from home jobs.
Aside from competitive pay and top-notch medical benefits, Mozilla also shoulders conference and travel budgets, your copy of the latest Mozilla software/hardware, and tons of learning opportunities.
Kaplan’s education-focused company opens up to work-from-home employees across its international branches.
Positions are varied, from writing to sales, but most offer flexible schedules, paid time off, and competitive compensation.
You can find virtual or remote positions by sifting through over a dozen of Hilton’s brand of hotels, inn, or resorts.
You can make money from home and it doesn't have to be challenging. Click here to see how.
Many part-time positions can be performed completely from home, but full-time positions may involve a bit of travel.
This global data collection company has a continuous need for remote employees in a wide range of professions from IT to sales, research to engineering, and so on.
All employees receive health care, long-term/short-term disability coverage, dependent life insurance, and employee assistance program.
If you’re looking for a reliable transcription job, go for Allegis.
It welcomes beginner transcriptionists from anywhere in the US and has jobs available 24/7. The work-from-home transcriptionists are free to choose which files to work on.
Not only does Xerox employ over 8,000 remote employees; they also hire veterans as part of their Heroes@Home program.
Enjoy health care, paid holidays, life insurance, retirement plans, employee assistance programs, as well as other benefits when you land a job as a virtual customer care rep, tech support, programmer, QA, or other positions.
Both of these programs aim to support people with disabilities by prioritizing them for various job openings.
16. Capital One
Capital One offers a number of remote-based positions although most of them require that you live within 100 miles of one of their main hubs.
I found a lot of customer support positions that start out at $16/hour and include full benefits, paid time off, family support, and 401k plans.
At the time of this posting, there was a list of remote job options that was as long as one CVS receipt.
Consultant, sales, customer support, and administrative assistant positions are all included in the full list of open jobs, as well as some creative jobs.
Select ‘Remote’ under location on HubSpot’s career services page to find a list of current positions.
HubSpot makes a point to say that you should apply even if you don’t feel confident you would get the job. They state, “So however you identify and whatever background you bring with you, please apply if this is a role that would make you excited to come into work every day.”
IBM almost needs no introduction; they’re a global technology and consulting company that’s been around for more than a century.
They’re currently offering flexible, remote positions that are related to IT, software programming, documentation, digital security, and human resources.
Benefits include health insurance, income protection, and vacation days.
20. Ernst & Young
Ernst & Young is a financial services company based in London, UK and has offices in multiple cities across the Americas, Asia, Africa, and Europe.
Positions in consultancy, technology, security, and other remote jobs are currently being offered.
Hired full-time workers get benefits such as career development programs, a high degree of flexibility, paid vacation, emotional and mental health support, and a retirement plan.
If taxes, auditing, and related technologies are your strengths, KPMG may be a good fit for you.
Open positions include financial management, data security, risk management, and help desk jobs.
Working here full time entitles you to medical insurance, 25 PTO days a year, 401(k) and pension plans, and a lot more.
Accenture is a management consulting, technology services, and outsourcing company with offices across 120 countries.
Remote positions open include proposal management, content moderation, workforce management, and consultancy.
23. Lockheed Martin
Lockheed Martin is an international security company that has clients in air traffic and transportation, energy and climate, information technology, and space exploration (yep).
Currently, the open work-at-home positions are related to software engineering and operations, but many more jobs pop up from time to time.
Online Job Posting Boards for People with Disabilities
Aside from the above companies, there are also organizations that maintain job boards for people with disabilities, including disabled military veterans.
The listings usually include work at home jobs, but some of them are also on-site jobs that adhere to the ADA.
These sites also contain information on career guidance, resume development, and other helpful information for job seekers.
- American Association of People With Disabilities Career Center
- AMVETS Jobs
- Enable America
- Getting Hired
- Hire Our Heroes
- Jobs for Disabled Veterans
- One More Way
- Recruit Military
Work-from-Home Resources for the Disabled
- My Employment Options – Provides free assistance to individuals receiving Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) or Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefits in the U.S.
- National Telecommuting Institute– The NTI is a non-profit org that has been helping disabled Americans find work-at-home jobs since 1995. NTI has two job resources – NTI@HOME and LandAjob , both of which provide extensive guides about Social Security insurance and rehab services with a job database of active open positions across the country.
- Cancer and Careers – Anyone diagnosed with cancer who needs career advice, tools and tips about working online even with cancer
- Project Starfish – Helps blind individuals begin a career in virtual assistance, social media, marketing, sales, and so on.
- LightHouse for the Blind and Visually Impaired – US-based organization with local chapters that help blind individuals find work-from-home jobs
- CareerConnect – This program from the American Federation of the Blind helps people with a former vision-dependent career learn how to restart their profession after vision loss.
- National Multiple Sclerosis Society – Receive work-from-home employment advice from other people with limited mobility
- Communication Services for the Deaf– This deaf-owned company has updated their remote job listings. You’ll need to know American Sign Language to apply to any jobs here.
- Ticket To Work – This free, voluntary program supports career development for people who receive Social Security disability benefits and want to work.
Passive Income from an Online Business
If the jobs available online do not interest you, maybe starting an online business will.
The best thing about most online businesses is that they can be operated 100% from home. You have several options if you wish to go this route:
- Blogging – As long as you love writing and telling stories, you can have a future in blogging. Check out these ways to turn a blog into a full-fledged online business.
- Affiliate marketing – You don’t need to stock and organize an inventory of products in your home. Today, you can promote other people’s products and receive a commission every time someone you referred to a store completes a sale. This process is called affiliate marketing.
- eCommerce – If an online store is something you’re interested in, check out these in-demand ecommerce ideas to try this year.
- Teaching – As a teacher, you can write a book, sell your knowledge (via podcast, eBook, one-on-one consultation, and so on), or sell your lesson plans. You can also blog about everything you know.
Here are 25 more passive income ideas that generate money while you sleep.
Start Working From Home Today!
The unemployment rate for disabled persons is almost double that of the unemployment rate for those with no disability (Source). Clearly, the government and the business community, in general, have a long way to go in terms of providing more jobs for the disabled.
But since we are increasingly becoming connected over the internet, there are more and more opportunities for disabled persons to work from home.
Do note that there are plenty of scams online, so be wary about red flags like paying to access a list of jobs, or providing sensitive information before sending a job application.
Make sure you fully research any opportunity and if something sounds too good to be true, it almost always is.
Do you know of any other companies with work-at-home jobs for disabled persons? Or can you vouch for a company that isn’t on this list? Drop me a comment below!